Saturday, December 12, 2015

Poland 2015

       I feel like one of those ignorant people. I had no idea that Poland even really existed. Okay, I knew it existed (after all I booked a plane ticket there), but I did not think anything was left after being destroyed by the Germans and again by the Russians, not to mention not even being a country for over 100 years. Communism did one hell of a shit job rebuilding Warsaw, but that is all beside the point. Not only does Poland exist and boast nearly the same population as all of Canada, but the people are absolutely LOVELY. The landscapes are breathtaking and the cities that were not entirely destroyed are beautiful and enchanting. Every country has its own heartbeat and Poland’s is fierce. A country that has been destroyed so many time has managed to ignite its people with strong beliefs and an unwavering proudness of who they are as Poles. Not to mention an unbelievable talent to drink endless amounts of vodka as if it were water.




Lucky for you I am not here to give you a history lesson on Poland. Because it would be SHOCKINGLY terrible! How did I not learn a thing about this country growing up?! Excuse me Canada, might be time to do a better job teaching WW2. Granted I learned all about Hitler and Stalin. I took a class in university called “War, Terror & Civilization” yet I learned nothing about the Solidarity movement. Which blew my mind, might I add, for the entire 4+ hours I spent at the museum in Gdansk. 




I had never even heard about the Warsaw Uprising which I learned all about in one of the most heart wrenching museums in Warsaw, the sad part is most Poles didn’t even know the truth about it until many years later, after many of the people who fought against the German’s had be executed or died in prison, as they “acted on their own” and therefore Stalin (lovely man that he is) imprisoned them for treason. After all, you wouldn’t want people willing to die for their freedom running free in a communist regime.
Model of Warsaw in 1945


I visited more castles than I can remember including the largest brick castle in the world, Malbork. Which naturally like most of Poland had been thrashed numerous times over the years. However, they are doing an amazing job of restoring it. I travelled underground down a total of 800 steps into the depths of the most incredible salt mines at Wieliczka. Three men carved out one of the most impressive churches I have ever seen, and believe me I have seen my fair share. (Keep in mind I have not yet been to Rome) You can get married there for the low low cost of 3.000zł per hour. (1,000CAD) depending of course on the number of guests.




I did not pay to take bad photos of the temple so if you are curious check out the link below to the google images search... 

www.google.ie/search?q=Wieliczka+Salt+Mine+St.+Kinga%27s+Chapel&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7sNuY7dbJAhUBdQ8KHc_cDG0Q_AUICCgC&biw=1366&bih=599








Most importantly though I made the journey (pilgrimage might be a better word for some) to Oświęcim, located about an hour and a half drive outside of Krakow. This is the location of history’s most extensive experiment in genocide, the death camps known around the world as Auschwitz – Birkenau. There really are no words for that experience… Seeing the nail marks on the walls inside the first gas chamber at Auschwitz… The feelings inside me mixed in a sickening way, hatred, pain, sadness, fear, compassion for those who suffered, and an utter disgust for those who could do such a thing to another living being. Did you know they could burn 5,000 bodies a day at Birkenau… A DAY. I really don’t want to say anything more about that except do you know how many people 1.5 million is? And that is an estimate.





No comments:

Post a Comment