Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Day Six at Six Hundred Sixty Metres

After navigating the metro back from Toledo without using any sort of reference, I found myself walking efficiently through the side streets of Madrid. Just going about getting some bits to snack on as I was starving after my day trip. I do this without any difficulty or cheating (which is what Tompers calls using google maps) I realize that maybe six days is too long for a city. I have no idea how teetotallers go on a trip to one city and spend more than a week there, someone please tell me!

The bar man in Granada was telling me I travel like a North American, caring more about seeing multiple places than really getting to know one  place. I guess there is a lot of truth to that. I do try to fit in as much as possible when I travel.

Now in all fairness there is something I need to state. I have not been out on the piss every night. Had I been I reckon I wouldn’t remember having seen any of the city and would be sad to be leaving tomorrow not having explored. Instead after yer-man-for-32-hours left me in Madrid I sobered up and laced up my runners. Because you see I really can only do one or the other these days. As Fletch once told me, its eagle or owl. Plus after two days on the piss, proper, my tummy was not very happy with me, and I just felt gross. So I swapped to early morning runs, afternoons spent wandering the city streets, and evenings going to bed early.

So maybe I’m not giving Madrid the fair shake, but don’t misunderstand me. I love this city. In fact I love Spain so much I already want to return and I haven’t even left yet. I just can’t sort out how to go out without drinking. Also there isn’t really anyone around the hostel so my rubber arm hasn’t been twisted at all. Even Tinder has been useless here. At least in Granada there was the architect who took me all over his city and brought me to all his favorite places. Granted we must have drank at least 6 glasses of wine each in the process. Tompers is waving his arms like a maniac... we were white girl wasted, or at least I was. You see it’s either drinking or staying in for me.


But now that I have virtually walked/jogged all of Madrid I guess I had better put on my big girl panties and go find me a party with for my last night here. 

There is part of me that doesn’t think it is possible to top my first two days here, and an even bigger part of me doesn’t want anything to. That way whenever anyone mentions Madrid a smirk with play across my face and a giggle will escape my lips. Because it was one for the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment