Friday, January 20, 2017

The Beginning of my Love Affair

Andalucía, it just sounds sexy. We were not to be let down one bit, even though our expectations were high. Starting in Seville we arrived after a three day drinking binge leaving Ireland behind for sunshine. I had forgot just how bright the sun is! The weather was brilliant and Tompers would like to point out my freckles have finally returned. My favorite way to explore cities is by wandering with no destination in mind. Over the next week I would find myself averaging twenty five thousand steps per day in four different amazing cities of this region… Andalucía.

The Spanish people have decided that they want to live outside and the cities reflect this with massive amounts of green area and plenty of seating. I found myself every day just sitting on a park bench somewhere and absorbing the beauty of these places. For the first time ever actually just enjoying doing nothing. After all I earned this vacation, and I suffered through enough rain for a life time.  

Now forever being the budget traveller that I am I discovered some things worth noting. The mosque in Cordoba is free after half eight and before twenty past nine in the morning. This made it more than worth a visit. I have walked into a million churches all over the world this was something else. I cued to be one of the first people into the building and didn’t waste any time. I entered and went straight back to the famous prayer wall. Unbelievable. The gold mixed into the intricate designs you really have to see it to understand the beauty.  When the pipe organ started playing in the church in the middle of this mosque the sound made the hairs on my body stand up. I guess you could say I had a divine moment letting the sound wash over me.

In Granada you must wait until at least half eight at night to go out for Tapas, but for a couple of euro you get a glass of wine and a delicious bite of food. I found after three was enough for me amounting the cost of my dinner to around €6. If you want the true tapas experience Granada is a must. The city of 300,000 people actually feels more like a small town and everything is a short walk away (except the bus station!!) I had booked us tickets to the Alhambra with a guided tour as it was recommended to me. The tour itself was terrible and I had left Tompers in the hostel for the day so I didn’t even have him to amuse me. The palace itself was amazing but a self-guided tour would have been a better idea. I headed up there very early and found a pathway which lead me up to the top of the mountain where I found myself sitting and watching the sunrise over the city. This made me realize I want to spend more time in nature and to get out of the cities I have planned my whole trip to be in.


The only reason Tompers and I headed into Malaga was to catch the train out to do the Caminito Del Rey. Now this used to be the most dangerous hike in the world but they have built these extra safe walkways overtop of the original pathway. I did not get the adrenaline rush I was hoping for but it was a beautiful sunny day and the views were breathtaking. I picked up stuff from the market and we had a little picnic in the sunshine after completing the hike while waiting for the train back into the city. Malaga reminded me that Spain was not nearly as safe as the other cities in the region had me believing. There is a dark underside to this city you can see in the streets if you open your eyes to it. I certainly didn’t wander down and side streets after the sun set. I try to avoid obvious danger just so my mother doesn’t have to worry too much about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment